Your articles, stories and pictures please for the next edition of LeisureTime, send to editor@leisureowners.org.uk

L 17 Wooden Grab Rails

Buy or sell Equipment to Leisure Yacht owners here - free for six months.
Members can post adverts directly, non-members may e-mail adverts to webmaster@leisureowners.org.uk
Posts are automatically removed after six months.
Olaf_SAR
World
Boat Name: Tiny SeaRider , DF5062
Yacht Type: Leisure 17

L 17 Wooden Grab Rails

Post by Olaf_SAR »

Hello everybody,

after doing a major refurbishing of my old "Leisure 17", I have noticed that the wooden grab rails are kind of "damaged" and it caused some leakage through the cabin roof.

Further investigation showed that some of the the inside of the grab rail had been "rotted away" and the bolts cannot provide any further hold and causes the leakage through the wood.

Is there anybody around, who might have two wooden grab rails in good (and first and foremost watertight) conditions to sell?

Thank you very much though,
greetings from Germany,

Olaf
Kevin Gilroy
Administrator
Boat Name: Dark Star
Yacht Type: Leisure 27

Re: L 17 Wooden Grab Rails

Post by Kevin Gilroy »

I doubt if you will find any second hand grab rails, but you might get lucky if someone is breaking up an L17.
In The UK similar grab handles are available to buy and I am sure they will be available in Germany
https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Force-4/T ... -Rails/JEA

Or if there is sufficient good wood remaining, you could drill the rot out of the current handles and fill and repair with epoxy glue and sawdust?
You will notice that the handles follow the curve of he cabin top. If replacing with new handles start at the middle fixings and work outwards.
Olaf_SAR
World

Post by Olaf_SAR »

Dear Kevin,

thank you very much for your kind reply.

I am afraid, I will need to try it with epoxy glue and sawdust as it is very difficult to find decent wooden grab rail.

Again, thank you very much for your advice,

warm greetings from snowie and cold Germany,

Olaf
johnstockdale
Editor
Boat Name: Perfect Storm
Yacht Type: Leisure 23

Post by johnstockdale »

Olaf
I'm not sure if it would be cost effective to post these from the UK given the price of new ones and postage and post Brexit bureaucracy but they are available.

My "project" l17 came with all the fittings removed. There was a pair of 84cm grab rails. However I made some longer ones from some teak I had. On reflection, and since sailing the boat, the original ones would probably have been perfectly alright. So the original pair are just sitting in my garage. I do not know what type of wood is under the paint (they were already painted when I got them and I put more coats on) but they seem quite heavy so I suspect a hard wood. There should be a picture associated with this post if not I'll try again to load it.
John
Olaf_SAR
World

Post by Olaf_SAR »

Dear John,

firstly I need to apologize for the delay in my reply.

I am fully aware of the high shipping costs and the bureaucracy with customs..:(
It is a shame that everything is getting worst.

However, I should have placed my seach for the grab rails much earlier as I just returned from a 10 day holiday in the Sottish Highlands spending Christmas holiday there.
I could have transported them easily to Germany then.

I guess I stick with the option using epoxy glue and sawdust first and hope it will successfully work out.
However, if you are able to give away your grab rails to somebody who needs those nearby , he will be very lucky to get some.
If not and those are still avaliable, I would be happy to pick those up next time I am in UK (probably Oct. 2025 in Southampton area) or Scotland... :)

Thank you very much for your offer anyway. This is very kind of you.

Greetings from Germany,

Olaf
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic